Jim White
So I really really love this swampy, dreamy, alt-country, southern-gothic singer/songwriter guy from Pensacola called Jim White. He's on David Byrne's label, Luaka Bop. I saw him play at an old church in Edinburgh and talked to him for a bit a year or so ago.
Anyway, there's an interesting interview with him on KEXP that you can get to by clicking here. If you're not interested in the interview, you should still check out a couple of the songs (I might start with "Still Waters" from his first album, then maybe "Borrowed Wings" from his third -- Aimee Mann sings on the album version of that song).
I was happy to hear in the interview that he's working on a new album with Tucker Martine, who is actually one of Laura Veirs' Tortured Souls. Hopefully he'll tour again for that.
It also seems like a few theaters around the country are showing his movie, Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus. Cameron, do you remember when I had you tape that movie and then never got around to watching it before I left Edinburgh? This is the one. I've wanted to see it for a couple of years now, so holler at me if any of you hear about a DVD release or a screening in the DC area!
Other news -- I'm reading an excellent book called Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century. It makes me feel pretty damn lucky to live when I do.
Anyway, there's an interesting interview with him on KEXP that you can get to by clicking here. If you're not interested in the interview, you should still check out a couple of the songs (I might start with "Still Waters" from his first album, then maybe "Borrowed Wings" from his third -- Aimee Mann sings on the album version of that song).
I was happy to hear in the interview that he's working on a new album with Tucker Martine, who is actually one of Laura Veirs' Tortured Souls. Hopefully he'll tour again for that.
It also seems like a few theaters around the country are showing his movie, Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus. Cameron, do you remember when I had you tape that movie and then never got around to watching it before I left Edinburgh? This is the one. I've wanted to see it for a couple of years now, so holler at me if any of you hear about a DVD release or a screening in the DC area!
Other news -- I'm reading an excellent book called Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century. It makes me feel pretty damn lucky to live when I do.

<< Home