Monday, October 01, 2007

"Whatever you are, be a good one."

My brother says I have a dead guy crush on Abraham Lincoln.

Once upon a time it was Jefferson - he's from Virginia, I'm from Virginia, he likes plants, I like plants, we both went to the same college, we're both fans of religious freedom and stuff - but when I grew up my affections turned to Lincoln. I like his writing. I am drawn in by stories of his humble beginnings (Jefferson was a rich kid), tremendous empathy, crazy wife, and depression. Abraham Lincoln was sad and he was kind and I tend to have a soft spot for sad, kind people.

So while my brother and his friends listened to Terry Pratchett at the National Book Festival this weekend, I sat in the AARP-sponsored (yessss) History & Biography tent and listened to two guys talk about my favorite president. Douglas Wilson spoke about Lincoln as a writer, and James Swanson talked about his book Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer. Wilson was interesting, but Swanson blew me away. I'm super psyched to read his book now. It's being made into an HBO miniseries as we speak.

A few Lincoln related things I feel it is important for me to share with you despite your indifference:
- Swanson told us this one: it's definitely a myth that Booth survived the barn standoff, but there were between 6 and 10 Booth imposters hanging out in the years after the assassination. One of them died in 1906. He was mummified, sold to a carnival, and toured around the country until the mid-1940s. The mummy is still around somewhere in a private collection.
- Liam Neeson is starring in a Lincoln movie in a couple years. Spielberg's directing and Keigh's imaginary boyfriend TONY KUSHNER is writing!
- There is a Lincoln Assassination walking tour! You will accompany me, yes? Anyone?
- I kind of want to go to The National Museum of Health and Medicine for my birthday this year. Mark your calendars for November 17th! (This is Lincoln related because his skull fragments are there, but that's not the only reason I want to go.)
- This Etsy seller has a Lincoln keychain made of Lincoln logs. Sweet!

The rest of the weekend was fun, too - a great Iron & Wine show at the 930 Club on Saturday night (listen to it here) and Crafty Bastards on Sunday (I picked up a pincushion and some earrings). Those who have been following Operation Hang Out With Straight Guys More Because I Don't Really Know Any In DC will be pleased to know that I hung out with no less than FIVE straight guys this weekend, so that's respectable progress. One of them was my brother, but whatever. Another was Danny's former coworker Justin, who came to the I&W show and who apparently reads my blog. I had no idea. He now knows all my darkest internet secrets, but he himself remains a man of mystery. I promised him a shout-out, though, so... hi Justin! What up!