Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Update

...on the reminder post from last week:

1. Birthday = lovely. Low-key cheap food at Tonic with pals followed by The Office, plus shopping with Rachel and Nina on Saturday. Lots of homemade crafty gifts and cards, plus books, a Bolivian boat model, flowers, and a working smoke detector. And my gift to myself? I'm signing up for a retirement plan, yee-ha.

2. Joanna Newsom show = weird. Sold out show, which surprised me, although I guess it was a Friday night and she has been getting a lot of press lately. The positives: it was a non-smoking show, she is definitely very talented, and I liked most of what she played. The negatives: no one beyond the first row could see anything because all the musicians were seated, she played two songs from the first record, one old Scottish folk song, and then just played the new record straight through, no encore, lots of wandering chatty folks in the audience. The WTFs: there were definitely some people in elf/fairy costumes there, with pointy ears and crowns of leaves. Overall I'm glad I saw her, but I wish she'd mixed it up a little with the old songs, which are the ones I like best.

3. Jamie Lidell show = lots of fun. It's really interesting to watch the way he constructs each song and uses his voice as an instrument. The improvisation made me miss my tap classes. He's all English and cute as a button. It was different from the Toronto show - small club vs. larger outdoor venue results in a different energy, I suppose - but still enjoyable. Not sure what to say about the opener except that he wore sequins, looked like Disco Stu from The Simpsons, and said things like "let's get this party started!"

And finally - I went to this place for breakfast this morning and I am quite enamored!