Saturday, October 07, 2006

I've been packing all day, I'm alone in my apartment and I'm upset about Mom. It's been awhile - since I was in Hampton with an old friend for a wedding a couple of weeks ago, maybe. I guess a few different things have brought it on.

For one thing, my roommate's mother was visiting this week. Her mother was a lovely person and I was thrilled to meet her, but it made me extremely sad to see them doing mother-daughter things together. I ended up hiding out in my room most of the time. Then last night I watched that new show "Ugly Betty" online while I was putting boxes together. It was actually quite good, but the main character is a twentysomething girl whose Mom died. They only mention it a few times in passing, but it still struck a chord.

Finally, the packing - I started packing for my move today and it's proving a bit rough to go through every single item I own. So many of my things were gifts from Mom and each one stirs up memories. I know I'm lucky to have so many things from Mom, and I cherish them all, but every good memory hammers home the fact that there won't be any more.