Monday, June 12, 2006

Things and stuff

  • Fort Reno starts this week. They've posted some of their schedule here. John, you may have to tell me which shows are worth seeing. The only folks I recognize are Antelope, Head Roc, Eyeball Skeleton, Joe Lally, and Mary Timony. And I think Dan and I may have seen Metropolitan last year

  • The Capital Fringe Festival has released their list of participants. What, no American version of Dead Man's Sperm, my coursemates' show from the '04 Edinburgh Fringe? I'm shocked. (Cameron, did you go see it? Was it funny? Do you still read this?)

  • AFI Silverdocs is tomorrow through Sunday. I haven't read the schedule too closely yet, but I'm really hoping to make it to 49 Up. I recently indulged in a Netflix-fueled binge of the first six Up films and I very very highly recommend the whole series. If anyone's interested in seeing this new one, holler!

  • KEXP started their summer pledge drive today. Practically every other post I make here refers to them in some way, but just to reiterate: KEXP is a public, nonprofit, commercial-free radio station in Seattle. They give independent musicians a voice, they promote a different nonprofit each month with on-air spots and proceeds from a live show with local bands, they have excellent podcasts and archived live in-studio performances and specialty shows, they introduced me to a ton of great music including two albums that have brought me some comfort in dealing with the loss of my Mom (M. Ward's Transfiguration of Vincent and Elvis Perkins' not-yet-released Ash Wednesday), etc. etc. etc. The DJs program their own shows, which is quite rare these days (they are also nice to you when you email them-- John in the Morning and I are totally BFF now). I heart KEXP. If you can listen online at work, I encourage you to do so. Jen will back me up on this.

  • Ashburn's Old Dominion Beer Festival is coming up June 23-25. If you drink beer, support independent craft breweries like our pal Jen S.'s husbands' family's brewery in Hampton! And let me know if you want to go to the festival -- there may be baby-holding opportunities in addition to the beer-drinking ones.