Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Nobody's little weasel?

Dan came over on Friday night and we watched Amelie. There is one part, near the beginning, where the narrator describes young Amelie's vivid fantasy life. One of the things she imagines is that her neighbor's comatose wife has simply decided to get all her life's sleep in one go. When she wakes, she'll be able to stay up day and night.

I've been feeling that way lately about my life here in DC. It's like I got all my sleep during the first 25 years of my life and now I'm up and running around day and night. I typically have plans every night and weekend and I feel like I'm rarely home -- I have to schedule time to cook and do laundry and dust, and more often than not I wind up postponing that stuff anyway.

It's really strange and I'm not used to it. I'm used to staying at home every night and weekend, crocheting and watching DVDs and being alone. In high school my social life was pretty much limited to the time I spent within the school walls. It's true that I had great friends in college, but I was also pretty studious and Williamsburg wasn't really a happening town. When I worked at Jamestown I probably did something social once every 3-4 weeks, ditto my time in Knoxville and Greenville.

But in DC, I've been going to shows and events and people's houses like crazy. And it makes me feel a little guilty, like I should be spending my free time volunteering or being useful in some other way. But then I also think, "hey, I didn't have any fun in high school and I was busy with schoolwork in college and grad school, now's my chance to enjoy myself for a change." I don't know.

Anyway, this week has been eventful as usual. I'll outline it later on, maybe tomorrow.