Thursday, September 29, 2005

And now, the news

Okay, as promised, an outline of my eventful week.

SATURDAY:
I met up with Brokrobi and another of his comic book geek friends at the National Book Festival to see this guy. I haven't read much of Gaiman's stuff lately, but I was obsessed with him in high school. After his talk (he read from his new novel, Anansi Boys, which looks pretty interesting) we stood in line with the goths to get him to scribble on some stuff. I chatted with him a bit and he was incredibly nice. Hooray for Neil Gaiman!

Next up: Teaism with Dan, Jen, and Rachel, after which Dan and Rachel split for the Nats game and Jen and I hiked over to the Washington Monument for the peace rally/concert. Someone handed me a button with a picture of George Bush as a vampire, biting the neck of the statue of liberty. The highlights of the concert were The Coup, Ted Leo, and Thievery Corporation, I thought, and the most effective between-sets speaker was a woman who served in Iraq and now belongs to Iraq Veterans Against the War. The usual suspects were there, but I was happy to see lots of old folks, babies, soccer moms ... seeing folks of all shapes and sizes and colors and ages was pretty inspiring. Jen and I were chatted up by a few friendly pothead kids from Maryland. One was marginally cute except for an unfortunate choice of facial hair, and we all arranged to meet up at the Son Volt show in October, but upon inspection of his Myspace page last night I concluded that he is a creepy troll-the-internet-for-sex type. So I will not be going.

SUNDAY SUNDAY
More adventures with Jen. We lucked into free tickets to the Green Festival, where we signed up for lots of junk mail, drank our body weight in HonesTea, and bought "Pirates for Peace" t-shirts.

MONDAY
Tap danced til I could tap dance no more.

TUESDAY
Met up with Brokrobi and his wife for the White Stripes / Shins show at Merriweather. I thought it was excellent. Brokrobi got us great seats and the White Stripes played some stuff from their first album, which was cool. They also played a Loretta Lynn song, a Dolly Parton song, and an old blues cover called "Boll Weevil." I surprised myself by finding Meg to be a lot less useless than I imagined. Stream the show and check out photos here.

WEDNESDAY
Swanky W&M alumni event with Rachel, who knew everyone there, and Jen, who stood in the corner with me drinking the free alcohol and eating the free spanokopita. Actually, that's not quite true -- we did run into Jen, my suitemate from sophomore year; Ali, an APO brother who was a senior when I was a freshman; and Jon, a boy from my freshman dorm I was always fond of. It was funny to be in a crowd of networking-types who work in consulting or on the Hill. I really like the new president of the College (the point of this whole thing was to meet him) and we all got nostalgic when we sang the alma mater after his speech (my first time singing it since graduation). Afterwards I rushed right home so I wouldn't miss Lost.

TONIGHT, THURSDAY
Tonight I'm working. But this weekend there are walking tours, arts fairs, underground films, and dance festivals to attend. Boy howdy!