The Aristocrats
I guess this is old news that everyone knows already, but AMC is refusing to show The Aristocrats.
I sold popcorn at an AMC theater when I was in high school. My brother also worked there and went on to do marketing stuff for one of their super-mega-behemoth-plexes after college. One of the many things he did was start and run a midnight movie series that featured cult films and other stuff folks don't get to see on the big screen very often. He booked Pink Flamingos and the screening was really popular, but the management told him to never book anything like it again because they didn't want to attract "that crowd."
I know that AMC is a private company and has the right to show whatever movies its management chooses. I find it interesting, though, that they call their choice to ban The Aristocrats a "business decision" and then turn right around and say they won't even book it if the limited release does well. I think they would look a lot more professional and less asshole-ish if they wrote up a policy on what they will and will not screen, similar to a museum collections policy. Picking and choosing based on management's personal preferences (Passion of the Christ good, The Aristocrats bad) and then trying to hide behind the phrase "business decision" is cowardly.
I wanted to see The Aristocrats anyway, but AMC's ban makes me want to see it even more. I guess I'm part of "that crowd."
I sold popcorn at an AMC theater when I was in high school. My brother also worked there and went on to do marketing stuff for one of their super-mega-behemoth-plexes after college. One of the many things he did was start and run a midnight movie series that featured cult films and other stuff folks don't get to see on the big screen very often. He booked Pink Flamingos and the screening was really popular, but the management told him to never book anything like it again because they didn't want to attract "that crowd."
I know that AMC is a private company and has the right to show whatever movies its management chooses. I find it interesting, though, that they call their choice to ban The Aristocrats a "business decision" and then turn right around and say they won't even book it if the limited release does well. I think they would look a lot more professional and less asshole-ish if they wrote up a policy on what they will and will not screen, similar to a museum collections policy. Picking and choosing based on management's personal preferences (Passion of the Christ good, The Aristocrats bad) and then trying to hide behind the phrase "business decision" is cowardly.
I wanted to see The Aristocrats anyway, but AMC's ban makes me want to see it even more. I guess I'm part of "that crowd."
<< Home