Thursday, June 30, 2005

A musical interlude

This is old news, but maybe some of you haven't heard it. It's the title track from the new New Pornographers album, out in August. Thanks, Matador! Anyone want to join me for the show at the 9:30 Club on October 15? Dan Bejar's other outfit, Destroyer, is opening.

Speaking of the 9:30 Club, you can check out recordings of a few of their shows at the All Songs Considered website. Thanks to Dan and work friend John for turning me on to it. I've spent this particular evening listening to the Decemberists' May show. Pop music + boats!! Friends and strangers have been urging me to listen to this band for a couple of years now and I'm just now getting around to it. They don't quite live up to my expectations -- I think Shane MacGowan and his lovely screamy sea shanties have set the bar too high for other boat music to reach -- but I think I'm intrigued enough to give their albums a shot.